13.2.05

Blue Like Jazz

I borrowed this book by Donald Miller from my buddy, Tim, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Here're a couple of quotes that stood out for various reasons.

...they may have been yelled at by a teacher in a Christian school, abused by a minister, or browbeaten by a Christian parent. To them, the term Christianity meant something that no Christian I know would defend. By fortifying the term, I am only making them more and more angry. I won’t do it. Stop ten people on the street and ask them what they think of when they hear the word Christianity and they will give you ten different answers. How can I defend a term that means ten different things to ten different people? I told the radio show host that I would rather talk about Jesus and how I came to believe that Jesus exists and that he likes me.



War metaphor. The churches I attended would embrace war metaphor. They would talk about how we are in a battle, and I agreed with them, only they wouldn't clarify that we were battling poverty and hate and injustice and pride and the powers of darkness. They left us thinking that our war was against liberals and homosexuals. Their teaching would have me believe I was the good person in the world and the liberals were the bad people in the world. Jesus taught that we are all bad and He is good, and He wants to rescue us because there is a war going on and we are hostages in that war. The truth is we are supposed to love the hippies, the liberals, and even the Democrats, and that god wants ust to hink of them as more imporatant than ourselves. Anything short of this is not true to the teachings of Jesus.



From Polaroids by Donald Miller:

What great gravity is this that drew my sould toward yours? What great force, that though I went falsely, went kicking, went disguising myself to earn your love, also disguised, to earn your keeping, your resting, your staying, your will fleshed into mine, rasped by a slowly revealed truth, the barter of my soul, the soul that I fear, the soul that I loathe, the soul that: if you will love, I will love. I will redeem you, if you will redeem me? Is this our purpose, you and I together to pacify each other, to lead each other toward the lie that we are good, that we are noble, that we need not redemtion, save the one that you and I invented of our own clay?
I am not scared of you, my love, I am scared of me.
...

God risked Himself on me. I will risk myself on you. And together, we will learn to love, and perhaps then, and only then, understand this gravity that drew Him, unto us.

... and it gets better... but you'll have to read the book to find out!



I can't find the original quote, so I'm taking another from Blue Like Jazz by Ravi Zacharias

A writer I like named Ravi Zacharias says that the heart desires wonder and magic. he says technology is what man uses to supplant the desire for wonder. Ravi Zacharias says that what the heart is really longing to do is worship, to stand in awe of a God we don't understand and can't explain.
That one really hits home for me, being a tech-geek. I feel ashamed of myself. I know that I sometimes buy things that I don't really need just because I think they're cool.

No comments: